Red Sage Publishing
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Story Behind the Story: Fires Within

by Red Sage Publishing

Go Ahead, Make a Wicked Wish

I’ve always been fascinated by all those coins scattered along the bottom of a pool. Whether the pool is graced by a bubbling fountain or not, or set in an amusement park or a small town square, you can bet copper and silver will wink at you from its shallow depths. Interestingly enough, I have yet to come upon one in my lifetime that isn’t lined with riches.

So what is it that tempts people to part with their money and toss away a small fortune? Is it all in good fun and done on the assumption the coins will eventually be gathered and donated to charity? Or is contributing to the fountain’s booty in order to make a wish come true, a superstition that many believe? I suppose we’ll never know for sure, but being the curious person that I am, I decided to explore this premise to its naughtiest, most decadent core.

In my first Red Sage release, a paranormal ménage titled Fires Within, I plucked two coins from the fountain of my imagination to see where they would take me. Set on a Caribbean island in the early 18th century, Fires Within revolves around the heroine and hero’s separate tosses of the coin into a reputed magical fountain in their village. Neither is aware the other has succumbed to the lure of the pool and made a shocking wish. What will they each do when they learn the one true love of their life has been harboring wicked desires that could tear their marriage apart?

As I toss my own coin, my wish is that you will seek out the answer to that question, and that reading my new release will ignite your Fires Within. In the meantime, share your intimate secrets with us. What sorts of things have you wished for when tossing a coin into a fountain? Did your wishes come true?

Roxana Blaze is a multi-published author living in rural Wisconsin with her husband and three children. She also writes under the pseudonym Titania Ladley. Please visit her at www.RoxanaBlaze.com or www.TitaniaLadley.com.

21 comments

Deb April 3, 2008 at 9:54 am

Hey there TI!, Wow this book sounds great.You can never go wrong with a m`enage..lol
Congrats !

Hugz
Deb and Bob

Kerensa April 3, 2008 at 9:56 am

I love this post!!! I think no matter how many times I've tossed a coin I always seem to end up wishing for the same thing. A great romance full of great passion of course. Oh and an extremely handsome man… 🙂
-Kerensa

jrobe10689 April 3, 2008 at 10:38 am

When my kids were younger, I always wished that they remain healthy and that I was raising the right. Now that they are getting ready to leave high school, I am pretty happy how they have turned out.

When I wish in a fountain now I wish for health for my husband and time for us to be together.

Also it makes me feel good that I have hopefully added to the donation to whatever children's charity the coins go to.

Anonymous April 3, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Enjoyed the comments. I have now added this book to my TBR list. I am always looking for authors I have yet to read. And I give money to my family to help them out at times.
JWIsley@aol.com

ReadingAddict1 April 4, 2008 at 3:20 am

Great post. I use to wish for a wonderful and romantic man. I haven't made any wishes in years. I should give it a try again ;). Thanks for the reminder.

Deb April 4, 2008 at 5:17 am

readingaddict1 everyone needs to make wishes once in a while, that is how we all stay sane;)

Here's hoping your wishes come true.

Kim S. April 4, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Great post!

I haven't wished on a coin in years, but the last time I did, I wished for our monetary situation to improve. At that time we were all healthy but were having money problems. Sadly, it didn't work.

But here's to always trying!!

Lil April 4, 2008 at 9:44 pm

My most memorable wish on a coin was to find the love of my life…my wish did come true.

LdyLopes2002 April 5, 2008 at 12:59 am

When I think of wishes, I always think of the quote" keep your feet on the ground but keep wishing for the stars".
Keep up the good work!
Ellen, sitting at the foot of Pikes Peak ( well, not literally, but certainly more than figuratively)!

Stephanie April 5, 2008 at 3:25 am

As they haven't panned out yet, I'm not sure I should reveal them. But if some mysterious men from an exotic place suddenly comes for me, I'll be glad to let you in on the details.

In the meantime my book pile keeps me in fantasyland and dreaming of all good things in love.

Stephanie
DragonStar1974@aol.com

Meljprincess April 5, 2008 at 5:49 am

I tossed a coin in Trevi Fountain (Rome) but have not been back to Italy! Yet…

Melissa K.
Meljprincess @ aol dot com

yaddayaddayaddablahblahblah April 5, 2008 at 10:54 am

I can't tell you my wish (same wish every time lol) because it hasn't come true. EVERYONE knows that you're not supposed to tell wishes until they're answered. 🙂

Anonymous April 5, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Great idea for a story. I tossed a coin into the Trevi Fountain in Rome and wished that my boyfriend at the time would ask me to marry him and he did a year later. So maybe it worked
Not many fountains around where I live but there is a magic to standing and looking and listening to them
JWIsley@aol.com

Pamk April 5, 2008 at 4:31 pm

sounds like a great read and i for one am looking forward to it.
scrtsbpal@yahoo.com

Caitlin Hoy April 7, 2008 at 9:50 am

I can't wait to try your book Titania! it looks absolutely delicious. Now to your blog entry question: No none of my wishes have ever come true when I threw coins but I would still like them to. : ) Some wishes i have wished for would be to be rich when i was younger so we could get a dog and go to Disney World. My mom always said we didn't have enough money for that at the time when I would ask so I figured I would help with that by wishing for it. I also wished to know everything because I am just one of those really curious people who are driven by the need to know about absolutely anything and everything. I hope thats a good enough answer to your question.
Caitlin

Pat April 11, 2008 at 1:11 pm

I made a wish and it didn't come true but will try another time maybe. Most of my wishes for a bookcase big enough for all my books

Roxana Blaze April 14, 2008 at 8:43 am

Thanks, everyone, for your awesome comments on FIRES WITHIN, and for taking the time to talk about your wishes! I know wishes can be such a personal thing, so I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us.

By the way, the contest here (where all commenters will have their name thrown in a hat for a chance to win a prize) is still going on, so keep up the chatter! 😉

Deb – Thanks! Yes, very much agreed. Menages are one of my faves. 🙂

Kerensa – Wishing like heck that your wish comes true! *smooch*

jrobe – I agree. Health and happiness are some of the top things I've wished for, too. And I never hesitate to toss a few coins in a fountain in hopes that the money ends up going to a good cause.

JWIsley – Big thanks, I hope you enjoy FIRES WITHIN. How romantic that your wish for a marriage proposal came true! All the best in your marriage.

readingaddict1 – Yes! Give it another try. Here's hoping all your dreams come true. 🙂

thewildtwo – Aw, I'm so sorry your wish for your financial situation to improve didn't come true…but maybe it will come true some day? It seems some wishes take longer than others.

lil – Yay! I'm so glad your wish for love came true. How romantic!

Ellen – Thanks for the inspiration! Wow, how awesome to be sitting near Pikes Peak. 🙂

Stephanie – Keeping my fingers crossed that your wish for a mysterious man from an exotic place comes true very soon. And yes, keep reading in the meantime!

meljprincess – How cool to toss a coin in a fountain in Rome! Can I ask if the wish came true?

yaddayadda – So true. Keep mum until that wish comes true!

pamk – Thanks, I hope FIRES WITHIN ignites your inner heat! Be sure and keep a fire extinguisher nearby. LOL

caitlin – Humongo thanks, hon, enjoy the heat! LOL Love your wishes. One day, hopefully they'll come true. I think some take longer than others. 😉

Pat – LOL, that's one of my wishes too, to have more space for all my books. I hope your wish comes true very soon, because we all need our books. *grin*

Thanks again, everyone, for all your comments. Have a fabulous week!

Roxana

orelukjp0 April 15, 2008 at 7:50 am

Wow. It sounds like a great book. Can't wait to pick it up.
I wish for the usual, money and good health for my family. Have never gotten money but have been kind of O.K. with the health. It could be worse. I know the money goes to charity so that's why I do it really.

Cathy M April 16, 2008 at 10:53 am

Hi Titania, the book sounds like my favorite kind of read.

As for wishes, when we were trying to get pregnant, I would throw coins in every fountain I came across. And though it took awhile, I ended up with twins!! Absolutely the best wish ever.

Anonymous May 16, 2008 at 6:05 pm

Ti, you have out done yourself again. I am really going to enjoy this one.

orelukjp0 May 18, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Since I don't know if the comments carry over from month to month, here I go again. I generally wish for good health for my family and money. Once in a great while, I wish for a little more excitement to come my way.
The good health has been pretty good and I do make my own excitement so it does come my way when I wish for it.
As long as the money goes to charity, I'll keep tossing my coins.