Red Sage Publishing
Random header image... Refresh for more!

The Truth About Writers

by Red Sage Publishing

True or False: Writers are a bit disconnected from reality.

Native Americans names are often come by months after birth. Many of these names reflect traits that uniquely describe the child.

In spite of having a decent dose of Cherokee in my family tree, I didn’t come across my Native American name until adulthood, when some Native America co-workers renamed me She who Walks into Walls. And yes, they had good reason.

Trust me when I say that She Who Walks into Walls is the perfect name for me. You see, I really do walk into walls. Often. Or maybe the walls jump out at me. It’s hard to say, because when it happens, I’m not really aware of it until the lump rises on my head. And no, I can’t help it. You see, reality challenges me, but not for the reasons people might think. It’s not that I’m disconnected from reality, and I’m not unwilling to remain centered in the here and now. I try. I really, really do. It’s simply that everywhere I look, stories jump out at me, begging to be told.

Reality doesn’t so much bore me as it presents me with endless fodder for a hyperactive imagination. In my opinion, writers aren’t disconnected from reality. We are over connected to the infinite possibilities that reality presents to us each and every day.

That’s my reality and I’m sticking to it. 🙂

Liane Gentry Skye

~~~~~

Lian’s first Secrets story, Heart’s Storm, will be available in Secrets volume 27.

Watch this blog for more Red Sage authors to tell the truth and debunk some myths about writers!

10 comments

Natasha Moore April 7, 2008 at 5:09 pm

LOL Liane. I once had to see the dr. after I ran into a parking meter while walking down the sidewalk. I was checking out the cool architecture in one of the old buildings. What a great place to set a story.

Leigh Court April 14, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Liane-
I have to admit I'm with Nicole on this one — I'm not a big fan of reality either. (In fact, it was my job as a journalist, covering bad news every day, that turned me into a romance writer — so I could *guarantee* my characters a happy ending!)

And here's a secret — sometimes for me, the inspiration for a story comes when I'm out on my balcony with a cocktail at sunset. Funny how just a little, er, "altered reality" can spark the imagination!

Or, as someone once said, "As the mind clears, the eyes can see more."

Leigh

Liane Gentry Skye April 14, 2008 at 7:13 am

Natasha, sounds like your muse is working overtime, too.

Liane

Tambra April 14, 2008 at 7:21 am

Liane,
I totally agree with your post.
There is an infinate amount of possibilites for stories just waiting to be snagged for our use.

I'm really looking forward to Heart's Storm and anything else you have coming out.

Hugs,
Tambra Kendall

Mia Varano April 14, 2008 at 7:46 am

Liane, I do most of my day dreaming, er, story planning when I'm driving. I've missed a few turns and exits!

Roxana Blaze April 14, 2008 at 8:06 am

Ouch, Liane. I'm wincing just thinking about it. LOL, maybe you have some sort of x-ray vision talent you're not aware of? *grin*

Mia, I do a lot of daydreaming and plotting while driving, too. I've gotten lost many a time because of it. :o/

Roxana

Nature Nut /JJ Loch April 14, 2008 at 8:06 am

Liane, great post! I was reading an article about mirrors and photography and how looking into the reflection of one produces an alternate reality and an illusion. How beautiful you see alternate surroundings wherever you are. I bet that wall didn't even have a picture on it. 😀

How cool you have Cherokee blood. I bet that brings you close to the elements of nature and to how they affect emotions.

I look forward to the upcoming release of HEART'S STORM. I know the story will ROCK and you will win many reader's hearts.

Hugs, JJ

Nicole North April 14, 2008 at 9:34 am

Great post, Liane! I'm not a fan of reality, as in the news and all the other day to day stuff that can drag people down. I much prefer the adventurous, romantic version of reality in my head which eventually pours out into my stories. 🙂

Liane Gentry Skye April 14, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Thanks everyone! How fun to see the different takes on creativity. I guess there are as many ways to harness the muse as there are stories to tell. 🙂

Writer and Cat April 15, 2008 at 6:06 am